Most exercisers are familiar with forward and backward lunges but not diagonal, side, and curtsey lunges which can be great to throw into workouts for variety and an added challenge. Lunges are a great exercise for those that do not have knee pain and also help improve mobility, agility, and single-leg strength.
In the video Coach Alex demonstrates all five lunges starting in a clockwise rotation allowing both legs to do each of the five lunges.
Five Variations of lunges:
1. Forward lunge- step straight forward
2. Diagonal lunge (avoid if you have knee pain)- step at a 45-degree angle
3. Side lunge/cossack squat- step to the side
4. Curtsy lunge- step leg behind and across the stationary leg
5. Reverse lunge- step directly back