Functionality is Key
Functional strength is defined as forms of exercise that mimic daily movement patterns. Especially as we get older, functional strength can be an excellent tool to help make life easier.
Here are some functional strength exercises to incorporate into your exercise routine:
- Squats or sit-to-stands – these can help with things like getting in and out of your car or sitting and standing up off your couch.
- Farmer’s carry – this exercise will help with core and grip strength; both things needed when you’re carrying groceries in from your car in one trip.
- RDL – Romanian deadlifts are a great exercise to help you pick up your package off the front porch while keeping your back safe.
- Bent over row – these will make pulling open that pesky heavy door easier.
- Overhead press – this exercise can help you put your suitcase in the overhead compartments or put a box back up on the top shelf.