Trainer Tip Tuesday: Glute stretches and strength training
Why should I care about my glute flexibility and strength?
Performing glute flexibility and strengthening exercises can help relieve:
- Low back tension
- Pain in buttocks or pelvis
- Tightness in hamstrings and hips
Performing glute exercises consistently can lead to benefits like:
- Improved lower body strength
- Enhanced lower body flexibility and range of motion
- Reduced risk for injury
- Improved activities of daily living
Seated Figure Four Glute Stretch
- Sit upright in a chair. Place the right ankle on the left thigh just above the knee and hold your shin.
- Keeping a neutral spine, lean the abdomen forward and deepen the stretch until you feel it in the back of your leg/glute and hold it for 20-30 seconds, repeat 2-3 times in total.
- Repeat the previous step on the other leg.
Banded Glute Bridge
- Position band just above the knees.
- Lie on your back with feet pulled up towards glutes and arms resting comfortably at your sides.
- Push through your heels while squeezing glutes to raise hips off the ground, continue to raise hips while driving knees slightly outward against the band.
- Raise hips until torso and hips are aligned, holding for a brief pause at the top of the movement.
- While maintaining tension on the band, slowly lower hips back down to the ground and repeat exercise for the desired number of repetitions.