Coach Blake and Coach Annalise show the proper and improper techniques for tricep pushdowns.
Follow the steps below the videos for the proper technique.
- Position the cable machine at a height above your head and attach a bar or rope attachment.
- Stand facing the cable with your feet hip width apart firmly grasping the bar or ropes in each hand. Flex arms at sides to a 90 degree angle and lean slightly forwards keeping your chest up.
- While maintaining the setup position, with the elbows tucked at your sides and a slight lean forward press the bar/rope down towards the floor in a controlled manner.
- Press down until your arms are fully extended and pause at the bottom of each repetition for 1 second, do not allow elbows to be locked out when extending arms.
- Slowly return to starting position and bring arms back to a 90 degree angle. Repeat the movement maining the initial setup position.
- When using the rope attachment, pull the rope apart while pushing down at the bottom of each repetition for greater tricep activation.
- Focus on reducing excessive elbow movement when pressing down, this will help ensure proper form and technique.
- Try not to curl wrists at bottom of pushdown, this will help maintain tension on triceps throughout movement and reduce stress on wrists.