It’s important to remember that all the fun traditional beverages served around this time of year aren’t simply calorie, fat, or sugar-free. For example, a Grande Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks gives a whopping 440 calories, 50% of the daily value for saturated fat, and 54 g of sugar!
Below is a list of which drinks to be mindful of along with some tips on how to enjoy your favorite holiday drinks.
Be mindful of:
- Coffee drinks: Lattes, Frappes, Macchiatos
- Coffee creamers
- Hot chocolate
- Spiced apple cider
Tips to enjoy:
- Always order the smallest size available to cut calories, fat, and sugar
- Skip the whipped cream on coffee drinks if you order them frequently
- Use sugar-free coffee creamers
- Make hot chocolate with milk to provide a better balance of nutrients
- Order coffee drinks with skim or low-fat milk to cut calories and fat, but also provide protein
- Enjoy one cup of the drink, and then switch to water or a calorie and sugar-free flavored water
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and have a wonderful December!
~Kaylee Brown, CHFC Registered Dietitian
To schedule a session with Kaylee call (309) 433-9355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.