Weekly Dietitian Tip: How to enjoy beverages other than water this Holiday Season
It’s important to remember that all the fun traditional beverages served around this time of year aren’t simply calorie, fat, or sugar-free. For example, a Grande Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks gives a whopping 440 calories, 50% of the daily value for saturated fat, and 54 g of sugar!
Below is a list of which drinks to be mindful of along with some tips on how to enjoy your favorite holiday drinks.
Be mindful of:
- Coffee drinks: Lattes, Frappes, Macchiatos
- Coffee creamers
- Hot chocolate
- Spiced apple cider
Tips to enjoy:
- Always order the smallest size available to cut calories, fat, and sugar
- Skip the whipped cream on coffee drinks if you order them frequently
- Use sugar-free coffee creamers
- Make hot chocolate with milk to provide a better balance of nutrients
- Order coffee drinks with skim or low-fat milk to cut calories and fat, but also provide protein
- Enjoy one cup of the drink, and then switch to water or a calorie and sugar-free flavored water
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and have a wonderful December!
~Kaylee Brown, CHFC Registered Dietitian
To schedule a session with Kaylee call (309) 433-9355 or email email@example.com.