Trainer Tip by Adam Shook, Health Coach
As exercise professionals, we often are tasked with providing and finding ways to motivate our clients. This can be a difficult task because the motivation to exercise can come and go like the afternoon breeze. So here are some tips to help you find the motivation to stay consistent with your exercise.
- Have a plan and execute. Get with a coach and develop a plan that is personalized for you. This will help you be productive and lead to better outcomes. You’re more likely to stay consistent when you know you’re doing things correctly and have a plan that is made for you
- Find things you enjoy. Don’t do something just because your friends or family do it. Find something that you enjoy doing.
- You don’t always need a fitness goal or have to exercise to achieve a specific outcome. Oftentimes people stay consistent when they realize how good it makes them feel (especially afterward). Exercise is one of the best things we can do for our mental health; it gives us more energy, better sleep, and makes us livelier.
- Avoid all-or-nothing thinking. Some exercise is always better than none. Therefore, you do not have to be completely on or fully off your exercise program. 20-30 minutes is always better than zero minutes.
- View it is as something that you have the privilege to do. Avoid thinking of it as a chore.
- Sometimes we have to have the discipline to get the work done than rather rely on motivation. Stay disciplined!